The effects of solar exposure, changing weather, and climate conditions are most noticeable on roofs. Beyond normal wear and tear, a roof easily deteriorates if a proper coating is not applied. Elastomeric roof coatings significantly improve the longevity and effectiveness of your investment when it comes to enhancing your roofing, unlike roof paint, which only alters the color.
Rhino Shield examines elastomeric roof coatings, including the surfaces they may be applied to, their advantages, and their durability, in order to inform property owners about what roof coating option is right for them.
What Is Elastomeric Roof Coating?
An elastomeric roof coating is a liquid that, when dried, hardens into a strong, elastic membrane. It is simple to apply to most roof surfaces and adaptable to various weather situations due to its elasticity.
In addition, elastomeric coatings are efficient in sealing roof leaks and halting the progression of existing damage, as they are long-lasting and difficult to break.
What Surfaces Can Elastomeric Coating Be Installed Over?
Elastomeric roof coatings can be effectively laid over a variety of roofing materials, including but not restricted to:
- Aged EPDM or TPO membranes
- APP or SBS cap sheets
- Built-up roofing
- Existing elastomeric coating
- Exterior-grade plywood
- Sprayed polyurethane foam
What Are the Advantages of Elastomeric Roof Coating?
Some benefits of using elastomeric roof coatings from Rhino Shield include:
- Adding additional waterproofing and weathering protection. Elastomeric roof coatings offer a reliable barrier against precipitation, ice, and snow. Additionally, coatings provide extra support for roofs exposed to strong winds.
- Being easy to repair and maintain once installed. Applying extra coating directly to the damaged areas quickly seals off cracks.
- Increasing energy efficiency and UV protection. The “cool roof” effect of elastomeric roof coatings reduces energy costs in the summer. The gray elastomeric roof paint enhances a building’s heating in the winter.
- Improving green reputation. Elastomeric coatings are linked to green roofing, as they are made with little to no Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), which can damage local air quality. This roofing is environmentally friendly and sustainable.
- Restoring roof viability and extending roof life expectancy. Elastomeric coatings can last a decade when applied properly, thus reducing the need for repairs.
How Long Does Elastomeric Coating Last?
Depending on the thickness of the first application, elastomeric roof coatings can last between 10 and 20 years. However, roofing maintenance is recommended for durability. This involves reapplying a roof coating every 10 to 15 years and washing the roof with a hose or power washer.
What Is the Best Elastomeric Roof Coating?
No two elastomeric coatings are the same — elastomeric roof coating comes in several types and compositions, each suitable for certain conditions and surfaces. Butyl, acrylic, polyurethane, and silicone are the four major forms of elastomeric coatings:
Isobutylene is converted into butyl rubber, which is then transformed into a liquid for elastomeric coatings. It has high elasticity, is airtight, and can endure pounding on low-slope roofs. However, it is harmful to the environment during production and disposal.
Acrylic elastomeric coatings, like our product,”The Rhino Shield Flat Roof System,” are water-based coatings that do not resist stagnant water and are more suitable for use on roofs with sufficient drainage.
The most impact-resistant elastomeric roof coating currently on the market is polyurethane. It adheres well to EPDM rubber roofing. However, polyurethanes are quite pricey and do not fare well in the presence of pools of water.
A coating made of silicone resin works well on flat roofs, as it endures pounding. Although more costly than acrylics, silicones are twice as resistant to weathering.
Our product, Roof One Coat, is a resin-loaded self-priming ceramic elastomeric roof coating. There is no need for a separate primer, as it provides good adherence and coverage.
Choosing Rhino Shield for Elastomeric Roof Coating
Rhino Shield is a premium brand with a solid reputation, offering property owners advanced coating options. For your elastomeric roof coating needs, contact us today.
Image Source: jorgeflorez/Shutterstock